top of page

Study in Canada

More than 400,000 study permits is issued annually by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Study Permit is a document that allows foreign students to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.

There are over 1,500 universities, colleges, and other educational institutions that are authorized by IRCC and are known as DLIs to welcome international students. These educational institutions exist to help international students learn in Canada and stay in the country after graduation. The most number of DLIs in the country are in two largest province in Canada; Ontario and Quebec (totally almost 1000).

Foreign students must have received an acceptance letter from a DLI before submitting their application for a Canada student visa. Additionally, they must prove that they have enough money to pay for their tuition fees and living expenses. They also need to satisfy an immigration officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay.


Students who wish to study in Quebec Province also require obtaining an approval from province (named CAQ) before submitting their visa application.


 International students can work for up to 20 hours per week during their study program, and full-time during regularly scheduled breaks such as winter and summer breaks. Their spouse is also eligible to obtain an open work permit and their children can study in public schools.

bottom of page