top of page

Family Sponsorship

Canadian citizens and permanent residents are able to sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada as permanent Resident. Canada welcomes more than 100,000 immigrants through family sponsorship each year.

 Canada’s Immigration Levels Plan for years 2022-2024 shows that the federal department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) welcomes more than 327,000 new immigrants in this category in next three years.

Happy Family

The table above shows the numbers of planned admissions in details in terms of years and relatives

Sponsor Spouse or Common law partner
To be eligible for spousal or common-law partner sponsorship, you must:
•    be 18 years of age
•    Show that you can provide for the basic needs for yourself and your spouse or partner,
•    Prove your relationship with the sponsored person is genuine by providing supporting documentation.
There are two processes that can be used to sponsor a family member: inland (In-Canada Class) Sponsorship and outland (Family Class) Sponsorship
In the inland process, application for permanent residence can be made from within Canada for family members who are already physically present in Canada, such as a visitor or someone on a work permit. The inland process can also be used to sponsor someone who is in Canada without status.
The outland process, application is made from abroad and is used to obtain permanent residence for family members who are not physically present in Canada.
Sponsor Your Dependent Children
Children must meet the following definition of a dependent child to be eligible for sponsorship:
•    A child is considered a dependent if he or she is under 22 years of age and is not married or in a common-law relationship.
•    If a child is over 22 years of age, they may be considered a dependent if they have a physical or mental condition that prevents them from being able to support themselves.
your relationship with the child must be proved, either by a birth or adoption certificate.
Sponsor your Parents or Grandparents
To be eligible as Sponsor you must:
•    be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada,
•    be at least 18 years of age,
•    meet the Minimum Necessary Income required in terms of the size of family unit,
•    sign a sponsorship agreement declaring to provide for the basic needs of family member(s) for a period of 20 years (10 years in Quebec).


bottom of page